Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Bump in the Road...

This past Thursday, February 5th, I had my 26 week check up and my glucose test. I was told to fast after midnight. My appointment was at 8 am and I was starving!! My mom went with me so I didn't have to sit there for an hour alone. And, boy am I glad she came. I had to drink this pure sugar drink and wait for an hour and then they pricked my finger to check my glucose level and my iron. Well after waiting for a while after I had the blood drawn the doctor came and got me. She told me the news no first time pregnant mother wants to hear - "you are a gestational diabetic". My mom said I pretty much zoned out after she told me that. I really don't remember anything she told me about what it meant. I just wanted to get out of there. I couldn't breathe and I wanted to cry so bad. I felt like I had done something to cause this condition....or that there was something I could have done to prevent it. I spent the next few minutes getting out of the doctor's office and into my car and let out the most tears I have ever cried. I called Butch and he told me to meet him in Bessemer where he was working because he wanted to be there with me. I couldn't even get my words to come out when I was on the phone with him. So I went and met him and he got into the car and just held me for a while, while I cried, yet again. I was no good for nothing that day....every time I thought of my unborn son I would just weep and cry and pray for his safety during all of this. I spent most of Thursday crying and just embarassed that I let this happen to Rylan.

The doctor's office referred me to an Gestational Diabetes educational nurse at the hospital and she called me Thursday afternoon and simply told me that it wasn't my fault and that I had not done anything to cause this and that I would not have a 9 lb. baby like everyone has been telling me (unless it's just something that runs in our family). She set up a time to meet me on Monday, Feb. 9 to go over what gestational diabetes is and what I needed to do. Butch went with me to our appointment and Ms. Martin made us feel a lot better about the whole situation. We left there with a lot of information to consume. I'm only allowed to eat 4 carb servings for each meal, I have to eat snacks between each meal with 1-2 carb servings and the worse part - I have to prick my finger 4 times a day to check my blood sugar levels!!! I do have to keep a food diary of everything I eat and keep up with my blood sugar levels on a sheet to turn in to the doctor on my check up.

So today, my blood sugar levels were normal due to the fact that I ate within my carb allowances. Don't think I'm starving - I can have any amount of proteins, fats, and non-starchy vegetables. It's actually a very healthy diet and I'm tempted to stick with it even after Rylan's born because it's so easy!

Just keep me in your prayers that my sugar levels will stay normal and everything will turn out ok for the next 12 weeks that we have left. God is good and I'm thankful that I was made aware of this condition to do something about it!

5 comments:

Melody said...

Awww...I'm so sorry! I am glad that you had a good meeting and feel better about the whole thing now. My prayers are with you and baby Rylan

Amberlin said...

You are definitely in my prayers! God is in control :-)

Josh and Tiff said...

Aw! I'm so sorry darling! Try not to worry! God is in control...nothing happens without His say so! He has His hand upon you and your baby boy...just trust Him...He knows what He's doing! You are going to make it through this and come out on the other side just fine, and probably a better person because of it. Know that all of you are in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Ashley! Bless your heart! Like you wrote, this really is a little bump in the road. God has got you and your little man right in the palm of His hand.
And please understand when I tell you, that it's nothing you've done....It just happens.
I love you girl, and I'm praying for you and your family.

Ashley said...

Thanks for all of your prayers. We do know that God is in control and nothing can happen with His say so. He has the ultimate say in our lives and I'm glad of that. He knows what is best for us. I too believe that Rylan will be fine. GOD IS FAITHFUL!