Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Rylan's 1st Infection -THRUSH :(


Sunday I noticed little white spots on Rylan's tongue and associated it with leftover spit up or milk on his tongue at first. Then when I saw them later Sunday afternoon I talked to my mom about it and she said it might be thrush. I didn't know what that was, but I just completely forgot about it and we went to church and got home late Sunday evening and I looked in his mouth again and the white spots or "patches" were still there. So I told Butch about it and he said we probably needed to call the pediatrician Monday morning. Monday morning rolled around and Rylan was still asleep and I had not looked in his mouth yet to see if it was worse so I pulled out a book that Blue Cross sent me that's called Taking Care of Your Child (great book for new moms by the way.) This book covers more than a 100 healthcare problems and symptoms, and it's even easy to use. You simply look up your child's symptom, and you'll find a complete explanation of probable causes, how serious the problem is, and how you might quickly relieve your child's symptoms at home. There are easy to follow charts that provide clear guidelines and tell you exactly when to contact or go see your child's doctor. So I simply went to "mouth sores" in the book and the first paragraph says this, "...In infants, large white spots may appear on the roof or sides of the mouth or the tongue due to a monilial yeast infection commonly referred to as thrush. Thrush can be treated effectively by medication, but it often disappears by itself." ok....So now I have an idea of what it is and that it is treatable! whew! On the chart it says if there are large white spots on the roof of the mouth or tongue to suspect thrush and call your medical advisor. I called Rylan's pediatrician and they called him in a prescription for nystatin which kills fungal infections. After he woke up I looked in his mouth and it was even worse. He has the spots on the insides of his cheeks and the inside part of his upper and lower lips as well. So we are starting the meds today and hoping that it will clear up. Other than him being a little cranky during the day, the patches of sores in his mouth don't seem to hurt him when he's eating. So I'm glad for that. So keep him in your prayers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww girl. Talon had thrush when he was a few days old because of the antibiotics he had in the NICU. He wouldn't take his nunnies or anything....He just cried for hours. I put some gentiene violet (or however you spell it) in his mouth--its like a natural remedy-- and immediately, he would nurse...it went away after a few days....
I hope the little man feels better! He's got a great set of parents taking care of him....